18 April 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Human Division by John Scalzi

The Human DivisionThe Human Division by John Scalzi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

You probably can't find too many bigger fans of John Scalzi's Old Man's War universe books than me, so this was a very eagerly awaited book. I was looking forward to a decent yarn from Scalzi after the disappointment I felt with Redshirts, and the other OMW universe books are all awesome.

The story picks up after the events of The Last Colony and the galactic situation that we were left with there. I liked the main characters and, as always, really enjoyed Scalzi's wit and casual sarcasm that comes through in the dialogue. The pace of the story was good, but I thought the action could have been ramped up a little.

The ending is really good, but there is, strangely, no real conclusion to the events of the story. I found this slightly disappointing, but I can only assume that there is further volumes to come, which is more than okay. I can hardly wait.

There are some really neat chapters. I particularly enjoyed the one where Harry Wilson rescues an ambassador's dog that had been swallowed by a plant and got a dead king's crown attached to it. Quite humorous.

A typically good Scalzi OMW universe story that I really enjoyed. It loses a star from me for being a little light in the action stakes but get's it back for the excellent characters and dialogue.

Well worth reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment